Vegan + Gluten-Free Chickpea Tikka Masala Recipe
Not only is this Chickpea Tikka Masala recipe filled with spice, plant protein, and fiber, it is also vegan and gluten-free! Tikka Masala is an Indian dish that is loved in the Western world. While the dish typically contains chicken, we used chickpeas for a plant-friendly and hearty twist. The chickpeas are marinated in a tomato and coconut cream sauce, along with ginger, onion, garlic, and spices.
Chickpeas are legumes and are filled with fiber, protein, and nutrients like iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and more. Chickpeas also contain antioxidants in the form of beta-carotene and selenium, which help to fight off free radicals and oxidative damage. Not only is this recipe tasty, but healthy too!
Chickpea Tikka Masala
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger diced
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 45 oz chickpeas drained
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Add vegetable oil and diced onion to a large pan over medium heat, saute until onion becomes translucent
- Add garlic and ginger, saute for 1-2 minutes
- Stir in spices
- Add chickpeas and tomatoes, allow to simmer for 12-15 minutes
- Finally, add in coconut milk and stir. Allow to simmer for 5-10 more minutes until the curry has thickened.
Once the desired consistency is reached, serve hot with your favorite rice variety. We chose Basmati, a rice typically eaten with Indian dishes such as this. Happy tasting!
Tried it out yourself? Let us know by tagging #tastermonial on Instagram for a chance to be featured!
Tastermonial content is not a substitute for professional medical advice. Take necessary precautions when handling information regarding food and nutrition.